Substance Abuse Treatment, Education and Prevention Services
Taking STEPS to Build a Healthier Community
HISTORY OF ORGANIZATION
Substance Abuse, Treatment, Education and Prevention Services, (STEPS), is a private, non-profit organization that provides services relating to the prevention and treatment of substance abuse problems in Wayne and Holmes counties.
We are dedicated to preventing and treating chemical dependency and abuse through strategies which meet the needs of individuals, families and communities. Founded in 1974, STEPS (originally Wayne County Alcoholism Services) has grown from a one person operation to an organization offering a full continuum of substance abuse prevention, intervention, and treatment services.
In 2005,STEPS was one of 13 addiction providers chosen nationally to participate in the Robert Woods Johnson Network for the Improvement of Addiction Treatment (NIATx). Since that time, over 1000 providers nationwide have joined this network which has provided leadership with improved treatment outcomes.
STEPS and Every Woman's House completed the process of becoming nationally certified by The Council on Accreditation in 2006. This certification recognizes the ability to provide quality services to clients while meeting the highest level of national standards. Also in 2006, the Community Anti-Drug Coalitions of America selected the C.I.R.C.L.E. Coalition as one of the two "coalitions of excellence" nationally for outstanding outcomes illustrating a reduction in alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
Other notable events occurring in the last few years:
2008 - Renovated an historic Beall Avenue home to be the house for the Pathway program - a men's residential treatment program. The home was named "Noble House" to recognize The Noble Foundation for their generous contributions to STEPS and the community.
2009 - Provided treatment services to over 900 individuals and prevention programming to an additional 5,000 citizens in Wayne & Holmes Counties.
2012 - STEPS completed a campaign to "burn the mortgage" (loans) covering the Noble House. Thanks to many donations from our generous community, all debts incurred to restore this beautiful home were paid.
STEPS of Liberty Center Connections is headquartered in the historic, Gault Liberty Center. The building, originally opened in 1907 as a carriage factory for the Gerstenslager Company. Gerstenslager continued building carriages until the early 1920's when they entered the automotive world and soon outgrew their factory and moved to a new facility in Wooster.
For many years, the building was a warehouse operating as the "Reed Warehouse" until the late 1990's, at which time the building was purchased, restored and transformed into a beautiful office facility to house Every Woman's House and the Wayne County Alcoholism Services (now known as STEPs at Liberty Center). Both organizations make up Liberty Center Connections.